The Arizona State Capitol Building was built during the years 1898-1901. The building was created as part of an effort to demonstrate that the Arizona Territory was ready for statehood. A design contest was won by James Riely Gordon, whose original plan called for the Capitol to be much larger, with a more prominent rotunda and large wings for both houses of the legislature on each side of the current building. Funding deficits meant the project had to be reduced, so the legislative wings were discarded from the plan and a small lead-alloy top substituted for Gordon’s decorative dome.
The building is 123,000 square feet and was used by the Arizona Legislative Branch of government until 1960. It has now been converted to the Arizona Capitol Museum.